Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Happy union

Two of my favorite things -- fashion and philanthropy -- came together unexepectedly yesterday. Complaints about my employer I have many...but one thing I greatly appreciate is the 20 hours volunteer paid time off each employee is given every year to spend on behalf of worthy community organizations and activities.

A few members of my team volunteered at the Emergency Foodshelf Network yesterday, and the first job we were given was sorting and coordinating a sizeable donation of Hannah Montana sweatsuits and tank tops. I believe the question we were asked by the volunteer coordinator was, "How are you all at putting together outfits?" Noting the irony, my coworkers stifled their laughter.

Much to my fellow volunteers' relief, I took on the task of coordinating tank top to sweatsuit -- a job that I truly enjoyed and for which I developed exacting standards. (They may be sweatsuits, but at least they should be color balanced.) I personally wouldn't advise anyone to buy Hannah Montana sweatsuits, but for a certain age group of girls these outfits will be wonderful suprises. In the afternoon, we moved on to sorting frozen items into holiday meal boxes. No matter what task we're assigned at EFN, it's always a rewarding way to spend the day, and a great reminder of just how many people need the kind of help that EFN provides. If you can spare it, consider donating your time or your money. You won't regret it.

No comments: