Thursday, January 29, 2009

Boot alors!

I like to think of myself as a pragmatic lover of fashion. I love my stilettos, and they're fab when I'm at work or out for dinner, but you won't catch me in the sky-highs when I'm facing a day jammed with errands. (Neither will you find me in my running shoes -- a comfortable wedge does the trick...it's a slippery slope towards sloppy.) An outdoor wedding calls for a stylish flat sandal rather than a skinny heel that will leave you -- literally -- with a sinking feeling. And in the winter, snow boots are a must. Picking your way through the ice with your heels on is a sure-fire way to end up in the ER with a broken hip. And, unless you're Snoop Dogg, it's difficult to make walking with a cane fashionable.

This is a long way of saying...the right shoe for the job. Especially in these economic times -- it's irresponsible not to protect your investment in your footwear. The reality of living in a cold, snowy climate is that you can't wear your cute shoes outside in the winter unless you have a personal car and driver that offers door-to-door service (one can dream). Wear boots! Nothing ruins shoes faster than exposure to water, sand and salt. Get a big work tote and carry your shoes with you.

Along the same lines...tuck your pants into your boots. It's not fashionable when you're trudging through the parking lot, but it's far worse to drag your hem through the muck. I'm a big fan of investing in pieces that last rather than buying disposable clothing. But the "pieces that last" part depends on care and maintenance.

My motto? Look smart, be smart.

No comments: