Thursday, January 22, 2009

The First Lady -- Fierce, Fashionable & Feminist



Much has been written these past months about the fashionable stylings of Michelle Obama...her chic look, the accessibility of her style, her statuesque figure. I admit it. I too have been swept up in the discussions about her selection of gowns. At the same time, I've been disappointed that newsmakers seem more interested in her fashion sense than her brain. Candidly, I tried to take a principled stand against the media hoopla, but I can't keep my mouse from gliding over to the teasers to check out the fashion world's take on her choices and clicking to my heart's content.

Ever since I became aware of the pernicious stereotypes about feminists (aka hairy, man-hating lesbians who never wear lipstick) and fashionistas (shallow, nasty dingbats seeking rich husbands to support their shopping habits), I've felt an internal struggle about what I love. How could I be a smart, (mostly) capable wife and mother, a fierce advocate of equality and social justice, a contributor to community improvement, delight in the successful sale-stalking of an item at JCrew AND a lip gloss junkie?

But I'm done feeling guilty.

Here's what I love about our new First Lady -- she is a transcendant role model for women. She's smart as hell, warm, sincere, open and giving. She has shown her commitment to fighting for dignity and respect for military families and the burdens that military wives shoulder for our country. What could be more feminist than that?

She is clearly fiercely protective of her family and enforces rules for creating order, discipline and predictability in her household. She obviously adores her husband, but unlike other, more reverential First Ladies of the past, she has said, "He's a gifted man, but in the end, he's just a man."

Educated at Princeton and Harvard, she's had a successful career in her own right. No one can doubt her strong mind and intellect. No one could question her strength or confidence.

And she loves to shop. She has a taste for the off-the-rack retailers like JCrew and White House/Black Market mixed with the sublime...Narciso Rodriguez, anyone? She loves a good deal. And yes, she also rocks the Jimmy Choos.

How...liberating! But isn't this just what feminism is? Be who you are...don't apologize for it...fight for what you believe in...celebrate...love with abandon...be beautiful, in your own way, inside and out.

So, yes, this is a new skirt. Now ask me how I'm going to help change the world.

No comments: